The Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) works to increase the integration of inclusive, evidence-based, and innovative teaching and learning practices in Stanford courses and curricula. CTL has a leading voice on campus for issues related to teaching and learning and contributes to educational strategy, practice, inclusion, diversity, equity, accessibility, and belonging through a wide variety of partnerships and initiatives. CTL staff and affiliates hold the following values central and strive to enact them throughout our work, whether administrative, programmatic, or service-oriented: practicing equity, drawing on evidence, centering participants, caring for people and resources, and learning continuously.
CTL seeks an Associate Director, Faculty and Lecturer programs to join the instructor-facing team supporting implementation of evidence-based pedagogical practices for undergraduate and graduate education at Stanford. In this role, you will report to the Director of Academic Teaching Programs and utilize classic and cutting edge research in education and learning science to advance teaching practices, ultimately impacting the learning experiences of Stanford students. In partnership with CTL colleagues and leadership across the university, you will design, deliver, and assess pedagogical programming for Stanford faculty and lecturers.
In this role, you will:
- Support individual instructors with research-based recommendations and guidance in collecting student feedback to inform effective course design and teaching practice
- Respond to 1:1 consultation requests from individuals, including disciplinary-specific, or audiences such as programs or departments
- Collaborate with individual instructors or departments to develop course or program curricula in face-to-face, hybrid, or online environments
- Collaborate with instructors to collect feedback from students at mid-quarter or end-quarter to inform course corrections
- Design, deliver, and assess workshops and other offerings upon request from departments and other campus units or as a part of university initiatives
- Assume primary vision, program management, budget responsibility, and oversight for one or more selected major program(s) for Faculty & Lecturer Programs
- Collaborate with CTL staff and University stakeholders to integrate technology and instructional design, as appropriate, into CTL offerings and resources.
- Create evidence-based teaching and learning resources for campus use to guide instructor pedagogy, unite the instructor and student perspectives, and amplify CTL’s teaching and learning services, e.g. via Teaching Commons
- Act as a liaison between departments/programs/campus collaborators and CTL
- Contribute newsletter items and collaborate with CTL, VPUE, and VPGE communication staff to publicize programs and services in areas of responsibility
- Conduct literature reviews for specific teaching topics
- Participate in long-term planning, working with the Director of Academic Teaching Programs and CTL leadership to design and implement unified programs/services that expand CTL’s impact; ensure effective campus engagement with research-based teaching and learning practices
- Collaborate with other CTL staff and/or VPUE Assessment and Evaluation colleagues to determine the best strategy for evaluating programmatic offerings including collecting and analyzing data and creating reports
In addition, you will have the opportunity to:
- Co-teach a discipline-specific pedagogy course up to once per academic year
- Present at conferences on teaching in higher education
- Work with CTL and other university leadership on long-term plans to expand CTL’s impact and motivate campus use research-based teaching and learning practices
- Mentor Lecturer-Consultant or other team members to develop and implement pedagogy events and programs