- This event has passed.
Introduction to Teaching at a Community College
October 27, 2022 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm CDT
Have you ever considered a teaching career at a community college? This career can have a high impact on students beginning their higher education journey and often includes a strong community focused work environment. The panel of faculty will discuss their experiences working in community colleges. The discussion will include equity and diversity at community colleges, panelists career trajectories, what they appreciate most about working at community colleges, and common misconceptions about the career. Bring your questions and prepare to explore this wonderful career path.
This event is supported by and organized through NSF INCLUDES Aspire grant by the Regional Initiative group.
This online event takes place on Thursday, October 27 at 2-3:30PM AT / 1-2:30PM ET / 12-1:30PM CT / 11AM-12:30PM MT / 10-11:30AM PT. This event is part of the three-part event series “Exploring Careers in Teaching at a Community College,” organized through CIRTL and APLU’s NSF INCLUDES Aspire grant.
This event is open to the public. You must register in order to attend; you will receive Zoom information upon registration.
We strive to be inclusive of anyone interested in participating in our activities. If you have specific accessibility needs, please contact us at email@example.com in advance so that we may make the necessary accommodations.
Associate: Learning Community
- Recognize the value of and participate in local professionally-focused learning communities associated with teaching and learning.
- Describe the scope of diversity in learning environments, of both students and instructor. (*Including but not limited to backgrounds, race, gender, ability, socio-economic status, ethnicity, gender preference, and cognitive skills)
- Describe the impact of diversity on student learning, in particular how diversity can enhance learning, and how inequities can negatively impact learning if not addressed.
- Describe how an instructor’s beliefs and biases can influence student learning.
- Describe and recognize the value of drawing on diversity in the development of teaching plans (including content, teaching practices and assessments) to foster learning.
- Describe several learning-through-diversity (LtD) techniques and strategies.