The Teaching Development and Initiatives team at Yale’s Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning is currently hiring for expertise in STEM teaching. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) in teaching is a primary focus for our team, and this hire would support these efforts in STEM fields. We are open to someone coming in at the Assistant Director level, who is new to faculty and professional development, or at the Associate Director level. Our hope would be for someone to start in this position in the summer of 2024. For transparency, the targeted salary range for this will be $75-85K for Assistant Director level and $85-95K for Associate Director level. Please apply by January 1st to ensure consideration for this position. For any questions about the position, please contact Julie McGurk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Work to enact the goals and priorities of the Poorvu Center and the TDI team.
- Act as a liaison to the CIRTL (Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching and Learning) network and facilitate the utilization of its resources at Yale.
- Facilitate regular teaching discussions and workshops that emphasize community, development, and the sharing of pedagogical practices.
- Evaluate and collaboratively update offerings to support the teaching development needs of STEM faculty, postdoctoral fellows, and graduate students.
- Conduct confidential, one-on-one teaching consultations and classroom observations. Develop web resources to support effective and equitable teaching practices at Yale.
- Assist in the dissemination of grant funding programs to support effective classroom instruction and other institutional priorities, such as the Belonging at Yale initiative.
- Establish working relationships with departments, Poorvu staff, and other campus groups to understand faculty, postdoc, and graduate student needs and resources.
- Stay current in the educational literature and the literature on diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging, particularly as they relate to STEM education.
- Identify areas of personal growth and needs and support the professional growth of the team
- Contribute to effective team dynamics and communication.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field and five years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Ability to have confidential and non-evaluative consultations with instructors that promote reflection about teaching and learning.
- Strong commitment to collaboration and collegial interactions.
- An understanding of the higher education teaching context.
- Strong commitment to professional development and reflective practice, including being open to feedback.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Personal and professional commitment to equity and inclusion.
- Ability to work in person at the Poorvu Center. While general availability must be for five days per week, the Poorvu Center and Yale has a flexible work schedule that currently allows for up to two days per week to be remote as work responsibilities allow.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- PhD or other terminal degree in a STEM field
- Experience talking with instructors, formally or informally, about teaching and learning and/or issues of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
- Experience leading interactive and discussion-based sessions
- To be hired at Associate Director level, significant experience designing and creating professional development in the higher education context required